Important Information

Saturday, August 9, 1862

The war meetings, probably by design, swelled the patriotic enthusiasm of those in attendance.  And that fervor was contagious, as Charles Johnson explained. 

Joining the army is not unlike measles, whooping-cough and even smallpox, for it's catching.  Learning that A., B., C. and D. had volunteered, I henceforth saw "the light," and straightway resolved to enlist in my country's service, much as it would mar all my well-laid plans. With this intent uppermost in my mind I attended the war meeting at Pocahontas, August 9, 1862, which was held in the shade of a white oak grove.

Amid these surroundings and under these patriotic influences I gave my name to an enrolling officer, and for three years thereafter saw service in the Union Army.

Under Lincoln's call for 600,000 volunteers, two full companies (about 200 men) were enlisted in Bond County  in July and August of 1862.