Important Information

Sunday, July 10, 1864

William Fleming's diary started today with this entry:
About ten o'clock the morning of July the 10th 64 there was an orderly come in my ward and inquired for me and found me and told me to pack up and report to Headquarters.  I complyed with his request and when I reported I found the paymaster and he paid me 8 months pay and I was ordered on a boat and a furlough in my possession for sixty days and in a few minutes I was sailing up the R for home.
Why was William Fleming in the hospital?  He was never injured in battle, so he was likely suffering from some disease or illness.  He may have been there for some time, even missing the Red River Campaign.  

Regardless of the situation, William Fleming was on his way home to see his family twenty-three months after his enlistment..