Important Information

Friday, March 17, 1865

The 77th Illinois received their orders.  They were now part of the 1st Brigade of the 3rd Division of the 13th Army Corps.  Today they would start their march in the early morning and cover about 12 miles before going into camp.  They left all unnecessary baggage behind and the officers were ordered to take "dog-tents," instead of the larger tents they had been used to on the beach at Fort Morgan.

Their objective was to move north along the southern and eastern shores of Mobile Bay and capture Spanish Fort and Fort Blakeley.   ''

The roads were sandy and swampy. The country was covered with a dense growth of pines and underbrush. Corduroy roads were built so the wagons and artillery could move over the swampy areas.

Marching in the deep sand was difficult, especially when marching with a knapsack, gun, accouterments and more.  As Samuel Kirkman of the 77th said,
At last the day's march ended and we went into camp, and I experienced inexpressible relief when I had stacked my gun and taken off my knapsack and accouterments. I ate heartily of the toasted bacon, "sow-belly," the boys called it, and "hardtack," a name they had bestowed on our army hard crackers ; and, in addition, drank freely of strong coffee, and felt much refreshed. My feet were sore and tender, and filling my canteen with cold water I poured this on my feet freely, rubbed and bathed them the best I could and then rolled up in my blanket and slept.